Scouting Your Talents for Employment Potential

Wednesday, January 9, 2008
A realistic assessment of your aptitudes can help land a new job

By Eve Tahmincioglu, MSNBC.com careers contributor
You’ve all heard it before. Find what you’re good at and build a career around it.

It’s advice that makes sense, but not always. Not every talent can necessarily translate easily into a career.

Case in point. I got a letter from a reader named Karina from Hong Kong recently and her comments crystallize what I’m talking about:

“I'm very good at guessing a movie's storyline and my husband agrees that any movie that keeps me guessing to the end is one of the best movies we've ever seen. Are there any jobs out there that can utilize this ‘talent’ of mine?”

We all probably have a long list of these types of “talents,” but thinking you can get these abilities off the couch and into a great job might be a bit naive. I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m just recommending that you keep your reality check meter on high.

click here for Full Article.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...