Why Staffing Agencies?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Like most people out there I’ve had a series of odd jobs: ticket girl, baker, cashier, sales girl and a couple of other positions I choose to forget. In college I did as many internships as I possible could (4-5) and held on to my day job at a bookstore.

Why so many? Well I figured that by the time I graduated the only thing coming out of the interviewees mouth would be “We’re looking for someone with experience”. What better way to gain experience short of dropping out of school and getting a full time job? But I digress. If then I have a hand full of internships in my field, about 4 or 5 different degrees and certificates and a well-crafted resume – why did I sign up with several staffing agencies?

Where do I start? At the beginning of my Last semester I was unemployed and over qualified for a job at the local mall (I needed the cash). I even got turned down by
Pathmark (I really needed the cash). And so when I finally did graduate I went on, let say, 2 interviews a week for about 4 months with out any callbacks. And instead of not enough experience, I heard 3-5 years of experience. And this is where the staffing agency comes in.

I signed up with a staffing agency that specialized in my field (i.e. graphic design) and promptly started working. It turns out that a lot of big name companies would rather hire from an agency that has already screened it’s applicants than conduct interviews themselves.

Yes it is a broad range of positions, but they are all within my field. I building my resume with more skills that were not taught in school and I can say that I’ve had real world experience (i.e. 3-5 years). And most importantly my parents stopped bugging the crap out of me; once they saw that and I received a regular paycheck and that I leave the house on a daily basis.

By Rachel Drice

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...